The discipline of building physics, on a worldwide level, lacks essential leadership. Simulation is often seen as an expensive commodity with limited value. There are opportunities, provided by BIM modeling and new methods that can establish simulation as a value-led tool at the centre of engineering and architectural design.
There has been a trend to separate Sustainability and Engineering disciplines which has often led to simulation being channeled through the Sustainability stream. In 2015, this clients Building Services group embarked on the process of embedding its simulation skills and knowledge of sustainable engineering design within the core engineering teams.
Our engineers truly appreciate the value and insight that building physics brings to their designs. Nevertheless, the need for specialist building physicists remains – individuals who can apply their knowledge to specific or ‘expert’ areas of the design process.
This firm offers an excellent opportunity for your personal and career development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes -
- Competitive salary
- Flexible pension allowance
- Private medical insurance
- Contribution towards professional subscriptions
- Great working environment.
The Building Physicist will incorporate building envelope details, information, and utilise factors to determine building efficiencies under various design conditions. This will include simulating building and environmental conditions for analysis purposes.
Primary responsibilities include developing sustainable design concepts and conducting specific tasks related to the preparation of sustainable design analysis and reports. You will receive and execute instructions from the Team Leader whilst demonstrating the ability and initiative to work independently and be responsible and accountable for completing the assigned tasks with required level of quality, on schedule and within allocated budgets.
This work will require being familiar with the following building elements:
- Wall and window constructions and energy performance
- Heating and cooling systems
- Ventilation systems
- Lighting systems
- Building design processes (typical and sustainable)
- Interactions of different building systems, and how systems can be optimised to work together to create highly sustainable buildings
- Familiarity with building design principles acquired through energy simulation will provide an excellent grounding in building design principles and will lead to more intensive building modelling work.
We are looking for an individual who:
- Has a head for numbers, specifically statistics;
- Advanced Excel skills;
- Experienced user of IES Virtual Environment;
- Has a flair for CAD or BIM;
- Can bring any unique or interesting experience to our team;
- Low Carbon Energy Assessor, or commitment to become accredited;
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Familiar with the latest relevant regulations, standards and assessment tools like BREEAM;
- Sound grammar and a succinct and effective communicator;
- The following experience is desirable but not essential:
- Autodesk BIM / CAD software;
- Programming languages: Python, VBA
- Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)